Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Commissioner Riley Extends Mask Requirement in Schools
MALDEN – Today Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Commissioner Jeffrey C. Riley notified school districts in the Commonwealth that he will again extend the mask requirement in all K-12 public schools through February 28, 2022.
The mask requirement remains an important measure to keep students, teachers and staff in school safely at this time. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, in consultation with medical experts and state health officials, will continue to evaluate public health data.
School officials will continue to be able to lift the mask requirement if they can demonstrate that at least 80 percent of all students and staff in a school building are vaccinated. Lifting the mask requirement through DESE’s vaccination threshold policy is a local decision made by school and community leaders in consultation with local health officials.
The following mask requirements will remain in effect:
- Public school students ages 5 and older in all grades and staff are required to wear masks indoors in schools, except when eating, drinking or during mask breaks.
- All visitors are also expected to wear a mask in school buildings, regardless of vaccination status.
- Masks are not required outdoors.
- It is strongly recommended that students younger than 5 also wear a mask in school, which is consistent with the Department of Early Education and Care’s mask policy for child care providers.
- Students and staff who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons and students who cannot wear a mask for behavioral reasons are exempt from the requirement.
- Masks are required for any sports-related activity for student-athletes and coaches when indoors, in alignment with guidance provided by the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA).
- Masks should be provided by the student/family, but disposable masks should be made available by the school for students who need them.
- By federal public health order, all students and staff are required to wear a mask on school buses.